I have been sitting on this one for a little while only because I have not had time to sit and write. A number of discussions I have been a party to, or witnessed from the sidelines, have had me thinking about this.
“We are a nation of laws.”
That is a statement I can almost put any politician’s name behind because, at one point or another, most of them have made that statement in a speech. Practically every one of those politicians have been either left leaning or right leaning in their ideology. So this statement has meant different things to each person.
Some say the dominant white, Christian, male demographic is often above the law. A lot of people refer to this as “white privilege”. Others cry out that “Black Lives Matter”. I don’t return that with the other cliche of “All Lives Matter” because, well, that is…cliche. There are so many numerous sub-groups in this country, and they all have their social justice rallying cry. I don’t care to get in to a list because that is not the point of this writing.
Our world in its current incarnation will never be Utopian. There will always be a criminal element. When a crime is committed, the punishment prescribed by law must be enforced.
I was in an exchange with someone over the woman recently deported out of Arizona, back to Mexico, leaving her American citizen family behind. I was hit with a litany of “but” on the topic:
- …but she was only trying to provide for her family.
- …but she didn’t steal anyone’s social security number. She just made one up.
- …but she was given a deal that allowed her to stay in the country.
- …but she was brought to the U.S. before she was an adult.
- …but she was targeted by a sheriff who was racist.
I was basically told that her being deported was not fair.
- …she was here illegally.
- …she mad NO effort to gain her citizenship.
- …she was duly convicted of a felony in a court of law.
- …she was originally supposed to be deported over 3 years ago.
Is it going to be tough on her family because of her choices? Yes. But she is the one who chose to do what she did. She could have rectified the situation a LONG time ago, but did not. The fact that she was here as long as she was is not fair to We The People.
If this country is truly to regain its footing, let Lady Justice keep her blindfold on. Laws must be enforced equally.
Also published on Medium.